1. Do I know the difference between BIAS and Opinion
2. Can I explain all cognition is recognition and connect it to Europe’s earliest interpretations of America?
3. Can I name and explain the two conceptual schemes that Renaissance Europeans used to interpret America? Can I name the main supporter of each interpretation?
4. Can I describe Thomas More’s Utopia? Explain what kind of society he imagines?
5. Can I explain why America for much of it’s history was a concern of leftist thinkers? Can I give examples?
6. Can I give examples of parallels between America’s own image of itself and European interpretations of America? Can I give examples of divergence?
7. Can I explain America’s own myth and the counter myth to its foundational myth? Can I connect this to the idea of America as an open-ended project?
8. Can I give examples of America breaking new ground?
9. Can I argue whether the two articles quoted in this lecture represent Bias or opinion?
1. Can I explain the relationship between human beings, nature and culture?
2. Can I describe the key Enlightenment thoughts that had impact on the conceptualization of culture?
3. Can I explain what’s common culture? How is Herder’s definition of common culture different from Humboldt’s? How is Karl Marx’s definition different from both Herder and Humboldt’s?
4. Can I explain the view that culture contains the ethical vision of a people? Why does this vision need to be shared?
5. Can I explain why nationalist, conservative and leftist thinkers criticize American popular culture? Can I describe each camp’s reasons?
6. Why does Matthew Arnold believe that for a mass democracy not to descend into anarchy, there’s need for high culture? How does he define high culture?
7. Can I explain the Frankfurt School’s criticism of mass culture?
1. Can I name the 4 specific threats that democracy may pose to society?
2. Can I explain each threat & provide names of key thinkers associated with exploring each threat? Can I provide a contemporary example for each threat?
3. Can I explain whether technological innovation plays a role in exacerbating the impact of such threats? Can I connect such innovations to America’s foundational story? To the dilemma of heroism or hubris and unintended consequences?
4.Can I use the Hidden Tribes study to verify the accuracy of the four threats and the paradox of democracy as a threat to its own Enlightenment values?
1. Can I explain Katzenstein & Keohane‘s definition of Anti-Americanism?
2. Can I explain how Katzenstein & Keohane connect the characteristics of American society to the variety of anti-Americanisms?
3. Can I provide an example of Anti-Americanism where we see the role of both, American society‘s own characteristics & the particular lense through which other societies may view America?
4. Can I list 6 types of anti-Americanisms; explain each and connect key words to each?
5. Can I list the 5 ways in which Europeans think they are different from America?
6. Can I explain Peter Baldwin’s take on Europe and America?
1. Can provide 3 examples for why human knowledge is limited and prone to error?
2. Can I explain how new internet technologies amplify this problem?
3. Can I provide 2 examples how our limited knowledge can lead to unnecessary suffering?
4. Can I explain why resorting to the collective intelligence/collective cognitive pool can help us with the problem of limitation of human knowledge?
5. Can I explain John Stuart Mill’s 3 reasons in support of free speech & connect it to Karl Popper’s idea that all life is problem solving and that human beings evolved have language so they can let their conjectures, their theories, die in their stead.